Maple-Crusted Roast Turkey with Corn and Bacon Stuffing
- 5kg whole turkey, defrosted
- 80g butter, softened
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 5 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- Corn and Bacon Stuffing
- 60g butter, softened
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 6 rashers rindless bacon, finely chopped
- 3 cup stale breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup polenta
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1. To make the stuffing, in a large frying pan heat butter. Add onion, garlic, thyme, bacon and stir over a low heat for 15 minutes, or until soft. Transfer to a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs, polenta, corn, parsley, lemon rind and juice. Season to taste. Mix well and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
3. To prep the turkey, discard the neck and giblets. Rinse turkey under cold water and pat dry. Fill the turkey cavity with the stuffing, then tie the legs together with kitchen string. Tuck the wings under the body. Place turkey on an oiled rack in a large, baking dish. Rub the softened butter all over the turkey, then season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour 2 cups of stock into the baking dish.
5. Roast the turkey covered with foil for 150 minutes, basting every 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan bring maple syrup to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced by a third then stir in lemon juice.
7. Remove the foil on the turkey, brush with the maple glaze and continue cooking uncovered for the last 30 minutes. Brush again with glaze and remove to the serving dish, allowing it to rest for 30 minutes.
8. To make a gravy, pour juices from the baking dish into a jug. Stand for a few minutes or until the fat has risen to the surface. Skim off excess fat and discard, then add 2 tablespoons of juices to the baking dish. Add pan juices and chicken stock. Place the baking dish over medium heat. Add flour and stir until browned. Gradually add the reserved pan juices mixture and cook, whisking, until the mixture boils and thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Strain the gravy into a heatproof jug. Serve turkey with gravy.
• Energy 2173Kj • Protein 46g • Total Fat 16g • Saturated Fat 8g • Carbohydrates 45g • Sugars 21g • Sodium 1439mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.