Roast Chicken with Lemon Herb Stuffing
- 2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Grated rind of 1/2 a lemon, plus 3 lemons, cut into halves
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 2kg whole chicken, washed and dried
- 40g butter, at room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1kg carrots, halved lengthways
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
2. In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, herbs, lemon rind, lemon juice and eggs. Season and mix well. Push half of the stuffing into the cavity of the chicken, securing the legs together with string.
3. Roll tablespoons of remaining stuffing into balls and arrange on a lined baking tray. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, combine butter and garlic. Carefully separate the chicken skin from the breast meat. Push garlic butter under skin, then place the skin back over top. Rub oil over top of skin, then season with salt and pepper.
5. Place chicken on a rack in a baking dish. Roast for 75 minutes, adding carrot, lemon halves and stuffing balls after 30 minutes. The chicken is ready when the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest joint.
6. Serve chicken with stuffing, carrots and lemon halves.
Make it dairy free by using a non-dairy spread instead of butter (don't use a low fat version)
• Energy 863Kj • Protein 4g • Total Fat 10g • Saturated Fat 4g • Carbohydrates 22g • Sugars 12g • Sodium 550mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.