Lemon Curd, Blueberry and Meringue Trifle
- 2 cups grape juice
- 85g packet blueberry jelly crystals
- 270g sponge cake, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 1/4 cup dessert wine
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 80g butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 tsp gelatine
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 1/4 cups thickened cream
- 50g meringue, chopped coarsely
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
1. In a small saucepan, bring grape juice to the boil and stir in jelly crystals until dissolved. Pour mixture into shallow container. Refrigerate for 20 minutes, or until jelly is almost set.
2. Place sponge cake in a 3 litre bowl and sprinkle with dessert wine. Set aside.
3. In a medium heatproof bowl, combine rind, lemon juice, sugar, eggs and butter. Place over medium saucepan of simmering water. Cook, stirring, for 15 minutes, or until curd coats the back of a spoon.
4. In small heatproof jug, sprinkle gelatine over the water. Stand jug in small saucepan of simmering water and stir until gelatine dissolves. Stir gelatine mixture into warm lemon curd. Cool to room temperature.
5. Pour jelly over sponge cake and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Top with lemon curd. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours, or overnight.
6. Just before serving, beat cream in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spread cream over the curd. To serve, sprinkle with meringue and berries.
It is fine to use just one 300ml carton of cream for this recipe.
• Energy 3363Kj • Protein 10g • Total Fat 42g • Saturated Fat 25g • Carbohydrates 93g • Sugars 86g • Sodium 311mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.