Parmesan and Walnut Shortbread
- 1 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 175g chilled butter, chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, lightly toasted
- 1 Tbsp iced water
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces, untoasted
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
2. In a food processor, add flour, cayenne and butter and process until fine crumbs form. Add the parmesan and process until just combined. Add the toasted walnut, water and process until mixture comes together. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll together to form a smooth ball.
3. Roll dough between sheets of baking paper until 1cm thick. Using a 4cm diameter cookie cutter, cut dough into 35 rounds until all dough is used up. Press an extra walnut piece into the middle of each round.
4. Transfer rounds onto the prepared trays. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden, swapping trays halfway through cooking. Cool on trays. Serve.
To toast walnuts, preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced) and bake for 5 minutes, or until light golden.
• Energy 374Kj • Protein 2g • Total Fat 8g • Saturated Fat 3g • Carbohydrates 3g • Sugars 0g • Sodium 44mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.