- 45g dark chocolate
- 125g cream cheese
- 4 Tbsp caster sugar
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 300ml cream
Meringue and Berry Layer Cake
1. Melt chocolate in a bowl in the microwave, or set a heatproof bowl over a saucepan with a little barely-simmering water and stir until chocolate melts (don’t let chocolate get hot).
2. In a small bowl, whip cream cheese with 2 1/2 tablespoons of the caster sugar and vanilla extract.
3. Separate the egg yolk and white, putting the white in a grease proof bowl. Whip egg white, then beat in the remaining sugar in 3-4 lots. Don't make it too stiff or it will be difficult to mix with the other ingredients.
4. In a small bowl, whip 250ml of the cream until it's a similar consistency to the egg whites.
5. Mix melted chocolate and egg yolk into the cream cheese then immediately fold in egg whites, and lastly the whipped cream. Work quickly. Spoon mixture into glasses then chill.
6. Before serving, lightly whip the remaining cream and spoon a dollop on top of each glass. Dust with cocoa and serve.
• Energy 2243Kj • Protein 5g • Total Fat 46g • Saturated Fat 28g • Carbohydrates 27g • Sugars 26g • Sodium 204mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.