Vegetable Tart with Chutney and Feta
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus extra for cooking
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 2 courgettes, sliced lengthways into 4
- 1 capsicum, halved, deseeded
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- Cooking spray
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fruit chutney
- Handful of fresh thyme, oregano or parsley, chopped
- 85g feta, crumbled
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a small bowl, combine the garlic and olive oil.
2. Preheat a BBQ plate or grill to medium heat. Oil the grill and drizzle the vegetables with garlic oil mixture on both sides.
3. Cook the eggplant and courgette pieces on both sides until tender and slightly charred. Remove and set aside.
4. Cook capsicum halves until blackened, remove and place on a plate to cool. When cool enough to handle, slip off the skins. Cut the flesh into smaller pieces.
5. Cook tomatoes and onion on the grill plate until softened, add a splash of oil if needed. Remove all the vegetables and close the BBQ hood to allow the inside to heat.
6. Spray a large slice tray with cooking spray. Line with pastry sheets, overlapping in the middle. Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
7. In a small bowl, combine tomato paste and chutney and spread over base. Layer on the grilled vegetables and chopped herbs, scatter on the crumbled feta and season with salt and pepper.
8. On the BBQ, turn off the centre burners, leaving the other burners on low so the tart cooks slowly. Place the tart in the middle and close the hood, cooking for 20-30 minutes. Check from time to time to ensure the base doesn't burn.
9. Once crisp and golden remove from BBQ and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
You can also cook this dish in the oven, set to 180° C (160° C fan-forced), and grill the veggies in a pan.
• Energy 2864Kj • Protein 12g • Total Fat 52g • Saturated Fat 22g • Carbohydrates 41g • Sugars 16g • Sodium 742mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.