Gluten Free Christmas Cake
- 1.5kg mixed dried fruit
- 1/2 cup sherry or apple juice
- 1 Tbsp liquid honey
- 1 apple, grated
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 3/4 cup gluten free flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 250g butter, melted
- Almonds, for decorating
1. In a large bowl, soak the fruit, sherry or apple juice, honey and apple overnight.
2. Set oven to 130°C (110°C fan-forced). Line the base and sides of a 23cm square cake tin, first with a few pages of newspaper, then two layers of baking paper.
3. Add the brown sugar into the fruit. Add the flour, baking powder and mixed spice to the soaked fruit, then mix well.
4. Stir in the eggs and orange juice. Lastly, add in the melted butter and mix to combine. Let it sit for 5 minutes and if the mixture is a little stiff, add a bit more orange juice (you want a sloppy batter as gluten-free flour absorbs more liquid than regular flour).
5. Scrape into the prepared tin and decorate the top with almonds.
6. Place the cake in the oven on a magazine(it won’t burn at this temperature) and bake for 210 minutes, with a piece of baking paper loosely covering it to stop the top burning. Uncover the cake for the last 30 minutes.
7. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 20 minutes before taking it out to fully cool on a cake rack. Slice and serve.
• Energy 1836Kj • Protein 5g • Total Fat 13g • Saturated Fat 7g • Carbohydrates 71g • Sugars 63g • Sodium 158mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.