- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 4 pears, peeled, cored, chopped
- 1 cup fresh dates, chopped
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1. In a large saucepan, add onions and water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until onion is tender.
2. Add apples and pears. Simmer for a further 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid has thickened slightly and fruit is tender.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until chutney is thick. Remove from the heat and stand for 10 minutes.
4. Pour into warm sterilised jars and seal immediately. Store chutney in a cool, dry place. Chill once opened.
To sterilise jars, put cleaned jars on a baking tray in a warm oven, 150°C (130°C fan-forced), for 10 minutes. Remove and cool slightly.
• Energy 420Kj • Protein 1g • Total Fat 0g • Saturated Fat 0g • Carbohydrates 23g • Sugars 122g • Sodium 2mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.