Mini Tomato Tarts
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 500g tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, plus leaves to garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 sheets flaky pastry
- 6 cherry tomatoes, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
2. In a saucepan on a medium heat, cook the onion and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cook until the mixture is reduced, thick and pulpy. Set aside to cool.
3. Grease a 12-hole muffin tray. Cut the pastry into rounds and line the muffin tray.
4. Fill each tart with 1 tablespoon of filling. Halve the cherry tomatoes and put one half on each tart, skin-side up. Sprinkle with thyme and bake for 15 minutes, or until the pastry is cooked and the tomatoes have blistered.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve sprinkled with thyme.
Sprinkle with Parmesan before baking or smear a bit of mustard on the base of each tart before filling, for an alternative option. Make the filling ahead of time (it keeps well in the fridge for a few days).
• Energy 782Kj • Protein 2g • Total Fat 12g • Saturated Fat 7g • Carbohydrates 16g • Sugars 2g • Sodium 278mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.