Asparagus and Feta Risotto
- 2 bunches asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1L vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 25g butter
- 100g firm feta
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley, to serve
- Grated Parmesan, to serve
1. Cut 5cm from the top of the asparagus. Cut the remainder into 1cm bite-sized pieces.
2. In a medium pot, heat the stock. Add the asparagus and simmer for 1-2 minutes, or until it is just al dente. Remove the asparagus from the stock with a slotted spoon and set aside, separating the 5cm tops and 1cm bite-sized pieces.
3. In a heavy-based pan, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onion until translucent. Add arborio rice, cooking for 2 minutes.
4. Gradually add the warm stock a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly, and allowing the stock to be absorbed between additions.
5. Once the rice is al dente (this usually takes about 20 minutes), add the butter, feta and 1cm bite-sized asparagus pieces. Stir to combine, and season to taste.
6. Serve risotto with asparagus spears placed on top, garnished with Italian parsley and Parmesan.
Fresh Tip: Cut asparagus stems and ends can be frozen for later use in soups or stocks.
• Energy 1825Kj • Protein 12g • Total Fat 19g • Saturated Fat 9g • Carbohydrates 53g • Sugars 6g • Sodium 1604mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.