Chicken Superfood Pasta with Avocado Pesto
- 375 g wholemeal penne pasta
- 1 capsicum, seeds & pith removed
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into slices
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 120 g bag mixed baby kale & spinach leaves
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Avocado Pesto:
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
2. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain, return to pan and keep warm.
3. Slice capsicum into quarters and place on an oven tray, skin side up. Roast for 20 minutes or until the skin starts to blister.
Remove from oven and allow to cool. Slice into strips.
4. To a medium bowl, add the sliced chicken, turmeric and salt and pepper. Mix to coat the chicken.
5. In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil on high. Cook chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked through.
6. To make the pesto, in a small food processor, combine all ingredients and process until smooth. Add a little water if required, then season with salt and pepper.
7. Toss chicken, kale and spinach mixture, capsicum, toasted pumpkin seeds, remaining oil and onion through the cooked pasta.
8. Spoon into serving bowls and dollop on pesto mixture to serve.
Tip: Avocado can be frozen. Simply peel it, mash it and seal it in a container, then put in the freezer.
Energy 3387Kj • Protein 40g • Total Fat 43g • Saturated Fat 7g • Carbohydrates 58g • Sugars 8g • Sodium 91mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.