- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 2 sheets ready-made puff pastry
- 1 egg, separated
- 4 tsp semolina
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- icing sugar, to serve
- cream or ice cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 210°C (190°C fan-forced).
2. In a medium bowl, place the prepared strawberries. Add 3/4 of the sugar and a tablespoon of the jam. Combine and set aside.
3. Lay the pastry sheets on a bench and cut 4 x 15cm diameter circles (try tracing around a small bowl). Place the pastry discs on a greased baking sheet.
4. Brush the pastry discs with lightly whisked egg yolk and scatter 1 teaspoon of the semolina over each. Pile 1/2 a cup of strawberries into the centre of each disc and fold the pastry up around the strawberries, pinching it into place to form a tart with an open middle.
5. Brush the pastry edge with lightly whisked egg white, scatter on the sliced almonds and sprinkle on the remaining sugar.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
7. Warm the remaining jam and brush over the centres to make them glossy. Dust with icing sugar before serving. Serve with cream or ice cream.
Tip: Try using a metal straw to hull strawberries. Place the straw at the bottom and push through so the leaves and stalk pop out.
Energy 2456Kj • Protein 8g • Total Fat 33g • Saturated Fat 17g • Carbohydrates 62g • Sugars 35g • Sodium 252mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.