Slow Cooked Pork Ragu Fettuccine
- 2 kilogram pork shoulder, bone in
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 20g butter
- 100g pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, roughly crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 700g bottle tomato passata
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed, chopped
- 500g fettuccine
- Grated parmesan to serve
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Season pork well.
2. In a medium casserole dish, heat oil and butter on high. Cook pork for 6 minutes, turning on all sides, until brown. Remove from pan.
3. Add pancetta, onion and garlic to pan, then cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in oregano, fennel and paprika, cooking for 1 minute. Pour in wine to deglaze pan. Mix in tomatoes and passata.
4. Return pork to pan and bring to a simmer. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and transfer to oven. Bake for 3-4 hours until meat is very tender and falls apart easily.
5. Using 2 forks, roughly shred pork. Add kale and simmer for 2-3 minutes until wilted and tender.
6. In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook fettuccine following packet instructions. Toss pasta through ragu. Sprinkle with parmesan.