Vegan Banoffee Pie
- 90g pecans + extra for serving (optional)
- 250g vegan biscuits
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder
- 12 fresh dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 270ml coconut cream + extra for serving
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium bananas
1. Place pecans in a small bowl; cover with cold water. Stand for 1 hour, then drain.
2. Meanwhile, process biscuits, coconut oil, cacao and half the dates until fine crumbs form and mixture starts to clump. Press biscuit mixture into the base and up the side of a 24cm tart tin. Refrigerate until required.
3. Stir coconut sugar and the water in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil for 3 minutes or until mixture reduces slightly.
4. Meanwhile, whisk cornflour and coconut cream in a small bowl. Gradually stir coconut cream mixture into sugar syrup until smooth; cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.
5. Blend drained pecans and warm coconut mixture with remaining dates, vanilla extract and 1 banana until as smooth as possible. Spoon mixture into biscuit case; smooth surface. Refrigerate overnight.
6. Thinly slice remaining bananas; arrange slices on pie. Serve pie drizzled with remaining coconut cream and sprinkled with roughly chopped nuts.