Feijoa and Ginger Scones with Feijoa Jam
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 50 g butter
- 3 feijoas, plus 1 cup feijoas (5-6 medium-sized fruit), finely chopped or puréed for the jam
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Whipped cream, to serve
- Feijoa Jam
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 210°C (190°C fan-forced). Place flour, ginger, baking powder and sugar in a bowl or food processer. Mix to combine. Add butter then rub or pulse into fine crumbs.
2. Remove flesh from feijoas, chop, and add to the flour mixture with the buttermilk. Stir or pulse to combine.
3. Knead just enough to bring dough into a ball. Roll on a floured board to 1.5cm thick. Cut into rounds; place on a cold, floured tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen but barely coloured.
4. Serve scones with the Fast feijoa jam and cream.
1. Combine fruit and syrup in a saucepan. Simmer for 10 minutes or until pulpy. Add chia seeds and vanilla essence then mix well. Remove from heat. Jam will thicken on cooling. Store in the fridge.
Tips: If you don't have buttermilk simply add a drop of lemon juice to regular milk.
The key to light scones is handling the dough as little as possible. Don’t knead as you would bread; squeeze it together and get it into the oven quickly to maximise the rising.
• Energy 923Kj • Protein 5g • Total Fat 7g • Saturated Fat 4g • Carbohydrates 33g • Sugars 12g • Sodium 259mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.