Pear and Cinnamon Cake
- 3 cups plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 180g butter, softened plus 20g for base plus 50g for sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 6 pears peeled, cored and quartered
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- Butterscotch sauce:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line a 25cm spring-form tin with baking paper.
2. In a medium bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together.
3. In a separate medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar together using a beater until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the batter is well mixed. Add the vanilla.
4. Stir in half of the flour mixture, followed by the buttermilk, then the remaining flour. Stir to combine.
5. To make the base; in a medium bowl combine the butter, cinnamon and sugar. Spread into the base of the prepared tin. Cover with the
pears, cut side up in a circular pattern.
6. Scrape batter into the prepared tin and smooth the top with the back of a wet spoon.
7. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
8. Meanwhile, to make the butterscotch sauce; in a saucepan, over a high, heat combine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cook until it
thickens slightly. Remove from the heat, and cool slightly.
9. To serve; turn cake upside down so the pears are on the top and drizzle with the butterscotch sauce drizzled over top.
• Energy 2536Kj • Protein 8g • Total Fat 26g • Saturated Fat 16g • Carbohydrates 83g • Sugars 55g • Sodium 291mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation