Chicken and Lentil Casserole with Pumpkin Mash
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 750g chicken thighs, halved
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup dried lentils of choice
- 2 pinches of saffron threads (optional)
- 1/2 cup coriander, chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped plus extra to serve
- Pumpkin mash, to serve
1. In a large flame-proof casserole dish, heat half the oil on high. Brown chicken for 2 minutes each side. Transfer to a plate.
2. In the same casserole dish, heat remaining oil. Sauté onion, fennel, garlic and cumin for 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
3. Return chicken to pan, and add stock, tomatoes, lentils and saffron. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, then cook, covered, for 60-65 minutes until chicken is cooked thoroughly and lentils are tender.
4. To serve, stir coriander and parsley through. Top with extra parsley and accompany with pumpkin mash on the side.
Fresh Tip: Wash, dry and roast your leftover pumpkin seeds for a healthy snack. Add a little salt, olive oil
and spice for extra flavour.
• Energy 2082Kj • Protein 52g • Total Fat 16g • Saturated Fat 4g • Carbohydrates 30g • Sugars 7g • Sodium 499mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.
* Check stock is gluten free and the pumpkin mash dairy free.