Beef and Red Wine Casserole with Mashed Potatoes
- 1 kg beef chuck steak, trimmed, cubed
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper, to season
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 carrots, trimmed, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 L beef stock
- 400 g can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 4 thyme sprigs, plus extra to serve
- 2 dried bay leaves
- mashed potato, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Toss meat in flour seasoned with salt and pepper, shaking off any excess.
2. In a large flameproof casserole dish, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil on a high heat. Brown meat in 3 batches for 3-4 minutes each. Transfer to a plate.
3. In the same dish, heat the remaining oil on a medium heat. Sauté carrot, celery, onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes.
4. Return meat to the dish and add the stock, tomatoes and wine, stirring to combine. Add the thyme and bay leaves, then season. Bring to the boil, stirring.
5. Remove from the stovetop and place in the oven. Bake, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for a further 30 minutes, or until meat is very tender.
6. To serve, top with extra thyme, and mashed potato on the side.
Tip: Any leftover onion skins can be used to add flavour to a vegetable stock.
Energy 1657Kj • Protein 38g • Total Fat 19g • Saturated Fat 5g • Carbohydrates 11g • Sugars 6g • Sodium 825mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.