Creamy Chicken Soup
- Salt, to season
- 4 skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into chunks
- 3 cups milk
- 2 potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 40g butter
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp of chicken stock powder
- 1/3 cup cream
- Fried shallots, to serve
- Crusty bread, to serve
1. Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and season with salt. Place on a high heat and bring to the boil. Add chicken and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Set chicken aside in liquid for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through.
2. In a seperate large saucepan, combine milk, potatoes and leek. Season to taste. Place saucepan on a high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain leek and potatoes, reserving the milk.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter on a medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the heat. Gradually add the reserved milk, stirring until smooth. Return saucepan to the heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Drain chicken, reserving 2 cups of the liquid. Add the reserved liquid, stock powder and vegetables to the sauce. Bring to the boil.
5. Using a hand blender, puree until smooth. Add cream, and stir through. Reheat gently and season to taste.
6. Slice chicken, and add half to the soup, stirring to combine. Serve soup topped with remaining chicken slices, shallots, and bread on the side.
Fresh Tip: Brushed potatoes should last for up to one month, whereas washed potatoes should be eaten within 10 days.
• Energy 1900Kj • Protein 29g • Total Fat 27g • Saturated Fat 16g • Carbohydrates 22g • Sugars 11g • Sodium 853mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.