Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- 115g dairy free spread, plus extra for greasing
- 1 cup rice or almond milk, plus a drizzle for the icing
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 4 Tbsp dark cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Dark chocolate (65% cocoa), grated, to decorate
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dairy free spread
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line 12 muffin tray holes with paper cases.
2. Gently melt the dairy free spread, 1/2 cup milk alternative, sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan. Cool slightly, then sift in the cocoa and flour, mixing to combine.
3. Dissolve the baking soda in the remaining milk and stir into the batter, mixing well. It should be a thick, pourable batter.
4. Pour into the paper cases and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin.
5. Meanwhile, to make the icing, combine the ingredients in a mediumsized bowl. Mix well to form a smooth, thick paste. Pour into a piping bag or snaplock bag with the corner cut off.
6. When the cupcakes are completely cooled, pipe icing onto cupcakes and decorate with grated dark chocolate.
• Energy 1499Kj • Protein 2g • Total Fat 12g • Saturated Fat 3g • Carbohydrates 60g • Sugars 44g • Sodium 182mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.