Easter Bun and Apple Bake
- Pinch of mixed spice
- 50g butter
- 6 traditional hot cross buns
- 2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 2 eggs
- 4 tsp caster sugar plus extra, for sprinkling
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream or ice cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Grease an oven-proof dish with some of the butter, selecting a dish that the buns will fit into quite tightly.
2. Slice each bun vertically into thirds and lay out vertically in the dish,overlapping each slice. Place a slice of apple between each piece and the remaining slices over the top.
3. To make the custard, combine the milk and cream in a small pot and bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until light and creamy. Add the vanilla and mixed spice. Add the milk and cream to the egg mix and whisk until combined. Pour over the buns and leave for 15 minutes to absorb the custard.
4. Dot the top with remaining butter, sprinkle with caster sugar and bake for 30-40 minutes or until puffed and golden on top.
5. Serve warm in bowls with whipped cream or ice cream.
Tip: This is a great recipe to use up stale hot cross buns.
• Energy 1572Kj • Protein 7g • Total Fat 21g • Saturated Fat 13g • Carbohydrates 39g • Sugars 20g • Sodium 159mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.