Poached Pear Tart with Warm Chocolate Sauce
- Poached pear tart:
- 225g unsalted butter, softened. Plus 20g for the Warm chocolate sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 pears, peeled, cored and halved
- 1 packet sweet shortcrust pastry
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- Warm chocolate sauce:
- 200g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp strong black coffee
- 1/3 cup cream
How to Whip Perfect Cream
1. Bring the sugar and water to the boil in a medium saucepan. Add cinnamon and pears. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until just soft. Drain and discard cinnamon stick and syrup.
2. Grease and line a 28cm fluted tart tin. Roll the pastry out into the base of the tin. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
3. Place a sheet of baking paper over the pastry and fill with baking weights. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove baking weights and paper, return to oven for 10 minutes or until pastry is golden and dry, shielding edge with foil if over-browning. Leave to cool.
4. In a food processor, combine the butter, almond meal and caster sugar. Process until smooth. Add the eggs and process to combine. Spoon the almond mixture into the tart case.
5. Press the poached pears into the almond mixture and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Cool on a wire rack.
6. To make chocolate sauce, combine the chocolate, coffee and cream in a small saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring, until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth, then stir in the butter.
7. Serve tart drizzled with chocolate sauce.
You can use rice instead of baking weights.
• Energy 4911Kj • Protein 13g • Total Fat 67g • Saturated Fat 35g • Carbohydrates 127g • Sugars 105g • Sodium 251mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.