Gluten Free Hot Cross Bun Easter Scones
- 3 cups gluten free flour, plus extra for dusting
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 50g butter, cold
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp lemon rind, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups milk (you may not use all of it)
- Sugar Syrup
- 1/4 cup caster sugar + 3 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Lightly dust a large oven tray.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder,cinnamon and mixed spice into a
large bowl. Grate in the butter. Add the raisins, sugar and lemon rind. Stir in 1 cup of the milk and stir with a knife until it comes together to form a soft, wet dough. Add more milk as
3. Turn out onto a well-floured bench. Dust with more flour and pat into a rough 4-5cm thick square. Cut into 9 squares and pat into bun shapes. Place on the prepared tray and bake for 20 minutes or until risen and cooked through.
4. For the sugar syrup, mix the caster sugar and water together and boil for 1 minute. Brush over the hot scones to glaze.
5. For the crosses, mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice to make a thin icing consistency. When the scones have cooled, drizzle on in a cross shape.
6. Serve warm with lashings of butter.
Tip: Store in an airtight container to keep from going stale.
• Energy 1384Kj • Protein 3g • Total Fat 6g • Saturated Fat 4g • Carbohydrates 62g • Sugars 30g • Sodium 231mg
Dietary information supplied by the New Zealand Nutrition Foundation. For full nutritional info, see recipes online.