Eggplant Fritter Fries with Garlic Yoghurt
- 1 eggplant, cut into thick wedges
- 1 Tbsp coarse sea salt plus extra, for seasoning
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2/3 cup beer
- 1 Tbsp thyme, plus extra, for sprinkling
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Garlic Yoghurt
- 1 cup Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper
1. Place eggplant in a colander over a large bowl, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of salt. Stand for 1 hour.
2. To make the batter, sift flour into a large bowl. Gradually whisk in beer until batter is smooth. Add thyme, lemon rind and season with extra salt. Stand for 1 hour.
3. To make the garlic yoghurt, combine ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste.
4. Heat oil in a large saucepan or wok and bring to a high heat(at least 190°C). Rinse eggplant under cold water and pat dry with absorbent paper. Dip eggplant into batter and shake away excess.
5. Deep-fry eggplant in batches, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Drain on absorbent paper and place in a bowl.
6. Sprinkle eggplant with thyme and a little salt. Serve with garlic yoghurt on the side.
• Energy 886Kj • Protein 6g • Total Fat 12g • Saturated Fat 4g • Carbohydrates 16g • Sugars 4g • Sodium 2585mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.