Roast Lemon and Herb Chicken with Hasselback Spuds
- 75g butter
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, zest grated, lemon halved
- 1 bunch thyme, leaves stripped
- 1 bunch rosemary, leaves stripped, plus extra sprigs, to serve
- Salt and pepper
- 1.9kg whole free-range chicken
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, halved
How to Speed Up Dinner Prep
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
2. In a food processor, combine butter, garlic, and zest. Add half of the thyme and rosemary to mixture. Process until smooth and season.
3. Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Carefully push half of the butter mixture between the skin and flesh, being careful not to rip or pierce the skin. Stuff cavity with half of the lemon and remaining herbs. Tie legs together with kitchen string.
4. Place potato halves, cut-side down, on a board. Slice at 5mm intervals, two-thirds of the way through.
5. Place chicken in a large baking dish, breast side up. Arrange potatoes around chicken, sliced side up. Brush chicken and potatoes all over with remaining butter mixture. Squeeze remaining lemon half over the chicken.
6. Roast for 80 minutes, basting with pan juices every 20 minutes. Rest for 15 minutes before carving, keeping potatoes warm in the oven. Serve with potatoes and extra rosemary.
• Energy 3968Kj • Protein 95g • Total Fat 54g • Saturated Fat 22g • Carbohydrates 19g • Sugars 1g • Sodium 986mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.