French Toast Hot Cross Buns with Caramelised Pears
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 4 hot cross buns, halved
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 20g butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 bananas, halved lengthways
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Greek yoghurt, to serve
- Toasted coconut flakes, to serve
1. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk eggs, milk and caster sugar lightly to combine.
2. In a large non-stick frying pan, melt butter on medium. Dip hot cross buns into egg mixture to soak through on both sides. Pan-fry in butter for 1-2 minutes each side until golden and crisp. Repeat with remaining buns.
3. For the topping, in a large non-stick frying pan, heat maple syrup, butter and ground cinnamon on high until melted. Bring to the boil, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add bananas and pears to pan, tossing gently. Cook for 1-2 minutes until just soft.
4. Remove from heat. Top buns with caramelised fruit. Serve with yoghurt and toasted coconut flakes.
Tip: This is a great way of using up leftover or stale hot cross buns.
• Energy 2495Kj • Protein 11g • Total Fat 24g • Saturated Fat 15g • Carbohydrates 82g • Sugars 44g • Sodium 204mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.