Eggplant Parmigiana Meatball Subs
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled, chopped coarsely
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 420g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 small red onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus ¾ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Vegetable oil
- 6 long soft bread rolls
- 1 cup tomato pasta sauce
- 40g baby rocket leaves
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper.
2. Place eggplant on the oven tray and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 25 minutes, or until golden and tender.
3. In a processor, add eggplant, chickpeas, onion, garlic, rosemary and parmesan and process until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of the breadcrumbs, and pulse until combined. Roll level tablespoons of eggplant mixture into 24 balls. Roll eggplant balls in remaining breadcrumbs to coat.
4. Heat vegetable oil in a wok or large saucepan. Add eggplant balls and fry, in batches, for 2 minutes, or until golden and heated through. Drain on paper towel.
5. Preheat grill. Cut rolls lengthways from the top, without cutting all the way through. Spread sides with pasta sauce, top with 4 eggplant balls and sprinkle with extra parmesan. Grill for 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
6. In a small bowl, combine rocket and vinegar. Top each roll with the rocket to serve.
Alternatively you could bake the "meatballs" rather than frying for a healthier option.
• Energy 2370Kj • Protein 21g • Total Fat 25g • Saturated Fat 7g • Carbohydrates 60g • Sugars 10g • Sodium 1176mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation