Tofu with Spiced Black Beans
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 4 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 425g can black beans, drained
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 300g tofu
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews, roasted, halved, to serve
- 1 fresh long green chilli, deseeded, sliced thinly, to serve
- Cooked rice, to serve
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, paprika and chilli powder and cook for 5 minutes, or until onion softens. Add beans, tomatoes, coconut cream and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Stir in lemon juice and season to taste.
2. Meanwhile, cut tofu into eight slices. Heat the remaining oil in a large nonstick frying pan over a high heat. Cook the tofu for 1 minute on each side, or until golden.
3. Serve tofu topped with bean mixture, cashews and green chilli, with rice on the side.
Fresh Tip: To deseed a fresh chilli, slice in half lengthways and run a teaspoon down the middle of each half.
• Energy 3085Kj • Protein 33g • Total Fat 40g • Saturated Fat 21g • Carbohydrates 53g • Sugars 18g • Sodium 673mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.