Cucumber Salad with Teriyaki Salmon Skewers
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil, plus 1/2 tsp sesame oil for cucumber salad
- 700g skinless salmon fillet
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and cut into 4cm pieces
- Cooked rice, to serve
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Cucumber salad ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers
1. Combine the ginger, teriyaki sauce and sesame oil in a large bowl. Cut the salmon into strips about 8mm thick. Add the salmon to the bowl and mix well to coat the salmon in the teriyaki mixture. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. To make the cucumber salad; in a medium bowl whisk the mirin, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil together until combined.
3. Using a vegetable peeler, slice the cucumbers into long thin ribbons. Add the cucumber to the bowl of sauces and mix well.
4. Thread a piece of spring onion onto a skewer, then a piece of salmon, folding it back and forth at 2cm intervals. Repeat with another piece of salmon and then onion. Repeat this process to make 12 skewers.
5. Heat a BBQ or large frying pan over medium heat and cook the salmon skewers for about 5 minutes, or until the salmon changes colour. Serve salmon skewers with cucumber salad and rice on the side. Sprinkle with sesame seeds to serve.
• Energy 193Kj • Protein 1g • Total Fat 3g • Saturated Fat 0g • Carbohydrates 3g • Sugars 2g • Sodium 16mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.