Sweet and Sour Pork and Pineapple Skewers
- 20 bamboo skewers
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp malt vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground chilli
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice, plus extra for serving
- 500g pork shoulder, cut into 2cm sized pieces
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into 2cm sized pieces
- Coriander, to garnish
- Mixed salad, to serve
How to Speed Up Dinner Prep
1. Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 10 minutes, to prevent burning when cooking.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium sized bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, soy sauce, sugar, malt vinegar, sesame oil, spices, garlic and lemon juice. Keep half the marinade aside and add the pork pieces to the other half and leave to marinate for at least one hour.
3. Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced), or alternatively heat a BBQ on a medium heat. Thread the pork and pineapple pieces onto the prepared skewers, alternating each.
4. Place on an oven tray lined with baking paper, and roast for about 20 minutes, or place directly on the BBQ, turning after 10 minutes. Brush with the reserved marinade 3-4 times during cooking, until dark golden and crispy.
5. To serve, sprinkle skewers with coriander and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with mixed salad on the side.
Fresh Tip: Using malt vinegar in the marinade helps to tenderise the pork as well as providing a tangy balance to the pineapple.
• Energy 531Kj • Protein 10g • Total Fat 6g • Saturated Fat 2g • Carbohydrates 8g • Sugars 8g • Sodium 297mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.