Gluten Free Blueberry Cake
- 250g butter, softened
- 2/3 cup caster sugar, plus 1 Tbsp extra
- Zest of 1 orange, finely grated
- natural spca eggs half dozen free range, 6pk
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- desiccated coconut, to decorate
- fresh blueberries, to decorate
- 1 cup pure icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease and line a 14cm x 24cm loaf pan with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together, until pale and creamy. Beat in zest.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add a little of the flour if the mixture begins to curdle.
4. Lightly fold in flour and juice. Fold frozen berries through. Spoon into pan, smoothing top. Sprinkle with extra sugar.
5. Bake for 55-60 minutes, until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Lift onto a wire rack to
6. To make icing: sift icing sugar into a medium sized bowl. Add 10g butter and 1 Tbsp hot water. Beat well until smooth. Spread all over cake. Sprinkle with coconut and top with fresh blueberries.
Tip: Always use pure icing sugar if you are gluten-intolerant instead of icing sugar mixture, which contains a little cornflour to help prevent lumps.
• Energy 1300Kj • Protein 2g • Total Fat 19g • Saturated Fat 12g • Carbohydrates 34g • Sugars 16g • Sodium 319mg