- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 tsp lemon zest and lemons wedges to serve
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 pottle Pacific oysters, drained and 1 Tbsp juice reserved
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Italian parsley, to garnish
1. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, lemon zest and sea salt with the reserved oyster juice. Slowly add cold water to make a mixture similar to thickened cream. Set aside for 1-2 hours to rest.
2. When ready to cook, use a small saucepan and heat the oil to medium hot. It is ready when a few drops of the batter dropped in sizzle immediately and float to the top.
3. Using tongs, dip each oyster into the batter, then into the oil to fry until golden brown. Cook a few at a time but don’t crowd the saucepan. Drain on paper towels when cooked.
4. Mix the mayonnaise with the lemon juice in a small serving bowl.
5. Serve the hot oyster puffs sprinkled with the parsley, plus slices of lemon and mayonnaise.
The smaller the saucepan for cooking, the less oil you will need to use. This may increase cooking time slightly.
• Energy 272Kj • Protein 2g • Total Fat 5g • Saturated Fat 1g • Carbohydrates 3g • Sugars 1g • Sodium 160mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.