Paris Butter Roast Turkey
- 5kg whole turkey
- Thyme sprigs, to garnish
- Paris Butter
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 tsp sweet paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Worcester sauce
- 2 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 Tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Discard the neck of the turkey, then rinse the turkey under cold water. Pat dry with absorbent paper.
2. For the Paris butter, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
3. Rub 2 tablespoons of the butter inside the large cavity of the turkey, and 2 tablespoons all over the turkey. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wings under the turkey.
4. Place on a greased wire rack in a large baking dish. Pour 1 cup water into the dish, cover tightly with greased foil and roast for 2 hours.
5. Uncover the turkey and roast for a further 1½ hours, basting every 20 minutes with more butter until the turkey is cooked through. Cover loosely and rest for 20 minutes.
6. Serve garnished with parsley and thyme herb sprigs and with the pan juices sieved into a serving jug.
This butter is also great with roast chicken.
• Energy 2803Kj • Protein 84g • Total Fat 37g • Saturated Fat 18g • Carbohydrates 1g • Sugars 1g • Sodium 1024mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation