Sourdough, Ham, Asparagus, Poached Eggs and Easy Hollandaise
- 1 bunch asparagus (2 spears per serve), ends trimmed
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 7 eggs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 300g ham off the bone, thickly sliced
- 4 slices of sourdough or your favourite bread, toasted
- Sprinkle of chopped chives, to serve
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
1. Blanch asparagus for 2 minutes in boiling water. Drain and set aside.
2. To make the hollandaise, place 3 egg yolks and a pinch of salt into a blender. Add the lemon juice and give it a quick whizz. Place the butter into a measuring jug and, with your machine running, slowly drizzle it in, in a continuous stream, until all the butter has been incorporated and the hollandaise is thick.
3. Bring a large saucepan of water and the vinegar to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and create a whirlpool in the centre with a spoon. Add 4 eggs one at a time and gently simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Heat a frying pan over a medium to high heat and add the oil. When hot, add the ham and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Set aside and keep warm.
5. To serve, place the toast on a plate, top with ham, asparagus, poached egg and a spoonful of hollandaise. Sprinkle over the chives.
The freshest eggs are easiest to poach.
• Energy 3611Kj • Protein 20g • Total Fat 74g • Saturated Fat 31g • Carbohydrates 31g • Sugars 3g • Sodium 1525mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation