Butterflied Barbecue Chipotle Chicken with Herby Sour Cream
- 1 size 14 chicken
- 1/4 cup chipotle sauce
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed, finely diced
- 2-3 sprigs coriander, chopped
- 2-3 sprigs mint, chopped
- 2-3 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 125g lite sour cream
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- Sea salt
How to Chop Herbs
1. Lay chicken on chopping board, breast side down, and cut down both sides of backbone. Remove bone and turn chicken over, turning legs in and laying chicken out flat. Brush generously all over with chipotle sauce and sprinkle with celery salt. Cover and leave to marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature, or for up to 4 hours in the fridge.
2. Preheat a hooded barbecue to medium. Layer two sheets of tinfoil and one sheet of baking paper to make a simple tray large enough to fit flattened chicken (gather up sides a bit to catch all the yummy juices). Place chicken, skin side up, on ‘tray’ and transfer to barbecue grill or hotplate. Turn centre burners off but keep the outside ones going. Cook chicken with hood down for 45 minutes or until well coloured and the juices run clear when the thickest part of the meat is pierced with a knife tip.
3. Meanwhile, combine diced cucumber, chopped herbs, sour cream and lemon juice and zest. Season well with sea salt and cracked pepper and chill until ready to serve.
4. Cut chicken into even-sized portions and serve with a dollop of herby sour cream.
• Energy 3057Kj • Protein 57g • Total Fat 54g • Saturated Fat 19g • Carbohydrates 5g • Sugars 4g • Sodium 849mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation