Roast Beef with Red Wine Gravy
- 2 onions, thickly sliced
- 1.5-2kg bolar blade or topside beef roast
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 rosemary sprigs, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 Tbsp Worcester sauce
- 30g butter, chopped
- Roast carrots, to serve
- Roast potatoes, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Place a layer of onion over the base of roasting pan.
2. Using a small sharp knife, make a few incisions evenly over the beef. Push in garlic and rosemary. Rub with oil and season well.
3. Heat a large frying pan on high. Seal beef for 2-3 minutes on each side until a golden-brown crust forms.
4. Combine wine, stock and Worcester sauce in a small bowl.
5. Place beef over the vegetables in the pan. Pour wine mixture over the beef and bake for 2 hours, basting with pan juices every 30 minutes. Once cooked, the beef will shred easily when tested with a fork.
6. Transfer to a plate and rest, loosely covered with foil, for 20 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, strain pan juices into a saucepan. Simmer on high until it thickens, gradually whisking in butter until glossy. Season to taste and transfer to a gravy jug.
8. Serve beef sliced, with roast veges and sauce on the side.
To make the roast veges, cut pumpkin, kumara and potatoes into 4cm pieces and add to the oven in a separate tray for the final 45 minutes of roasting.
*Check Worcester sauce and beef stock are gluten free.
• Energy 2431Kj • Protein 75g • Total Fat 24g • Saturated Fat 8g • Carbohydrates 7g • Sugars 6g • Sodium 661mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation