Warm Beetroot and Quinoa Salad
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 500g beetroot, pre-cooked, halved
- 4 courgettes, thickly sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, plus extra for dressing
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup mesclun salad
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, plus extra leaves, to serve
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 small clove garlic, chopped
1. Cook quinoa following packet instructions.
2. Meanwhile, preheat a barbecue hot plate to high heat. Toss beetroot and courgettes in oil. Season to taste. Grill beetroot for 5-7 minutes, turning. Set aside when cooked. Grill courgettes for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Set aside.
3. Spread walnuts over half a piece of foil. Fold over, scrunching edges to seal. Place onto barbecue hot plate and cook for 2-3 minutes, until lightly toasted.
4. For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a small food processor. Process until smooth. Season to taste.
5. On a platter, place quinoa and top with vegetables, mesclun and mint. Drizzle generously with dressing and toss gently. Sprinkle with walnuts and remaining mint to serve.
You can easily make your own buttermilk by mixing 3/4 cup milk with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or white vinegar. Leave for a couple of minutes to curdle.
• Energy 1629Kj • Protein 10g • Total Fat 24g • Saturated Fat 3g • Carbohydrates 31g • Sugars 18g • Sodium 927mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation