Mini Chocolate Pavlovas
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 300ml thickened cream, whipped
- 125g punnet raspberries
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
1 Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Lightly grease and line a large oven tray with baking paper.
2. In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating to dissolve sugar well before adding more. Beat in cocoa, cornflour and vinegar, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
3. Using a large metal spoon, dollop 4 large mounds of mixture onto the tray.
4. Using the back of the spoon, spread mixture into 12cm nests (they should have a small centre indent). Bake for 10 minutes.
5. Roast hazelnuts by spreading on a second oven tray and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, wrap in a clean tea towel and rub well to remove the skins. Roughly chop.
6. Reduce oven to 120°C (100°C fan-forced). Bake nests for a further 20-25 minutes until firm. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues to cool completely with the door ajar.
7. To serve, top each meringue nest with a dollop of whipped cream. Scatter with raspberries and hazelnuts. To finish, drizzle tops of nests with melted chocolate using a fork.
Use a clean, dry bowl and beaters to ensure optimum volume when beating egg whites. Don’t overbeat before adding sugar, as mixture will break down. Beating should take about 10 minutes.
• Energy 3175Kj • Protein 9g • Total Fat 43g • Saturated Fat 24g • Carbohydrates 82g • Sugars 77g • Sodium 102mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation