- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 1 ¾ cups self raising flour, sifted
- ½ cup milk
- 6 small black jelly beans, halved for eyes
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
1. Pre heat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a 12-hole regular muffin pan with patty cases.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3.Lightly fold in flour, alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Divide mixture among cases until 2/3 full.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, to make the Meringue frosting, in a small saucepan combine 1 cup caster sugar, ¼ cup water and ¼ tsp cream of tartar. Stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes, or until syrupy.
6. In a small bowl, using an electric mixer beat 3 egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually pour in hot sugar syrup in a thin steady stream, beating constantly until thick and glossy.
7. Spoon icing into a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm plain nozzle. Pipe a big pointed swirl onto each cupcake. Add jellybean halves for eyes.