Lentil and Chickpea Burgers
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400 g can brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- 400 g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 4 hamburger buns, split in half
- 50 g baby spinach leaves
- 1 carrot, cut into ribbons
- 8 slices drained canned beetroot
- Sumac to sprinkle
- 1/2 cup extra-light sour cream
- 2 tbsp tahini
1. In a large frying pan, heat half the oil on medium. Sauté onion for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Cool slightly.
2. In a food processor, place onion mixture, lentils, chickpeas, rice and pesto, then blend until almost smooth. Shape mixture into 4 patties, about 10cm in diameter. Lightly dust patties with flour.
3. In a large, non-stick frying pan, heat remaining oil on medium. Cook patties for 2 minutes each side or until heated and golden.
4. For the tahini sauce: In a bowl, whisk sour cream, tahini and water.
5. Place burger bun bases on serving plates. Top with spinach, carrot, beetroot, a patty and a dollop of tahini sauce. Sprinkle with sumac. Top with remaining bread.