Chicken and Kumara Lasagne
- 400g kumara, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt, to season
- Pepper, to season
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500g chicken mince
- 700g tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 400g fresh lasagne sheets (or use dried)
- 100g spinach
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
- Side salad, to serve
How to Chop an Onion
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Grease a 20 x 25cm ovenproof dish.
2. Spread the kumara onto two baking trays lined with baking paper. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil, season with salt and pepper. Place into the oven for 15 minutes.
3. In a large frying pan, heat the remaining oil. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring for 3 minutes, or until tender. Add the mince and cook, stirring, for a further 5 minutes, or until browned. Mix through the sauce and stock. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. In a medium sized baking dish, spread 2 tablespoons of the sauce into the base. Cover with a layer of lasagne sheets. Top with half the sauce, a layer of kumara, a layer of spinach, then a lasagne sheet. Repeat the process until all ingredients are used up, finishing with lasagne sheet on top.
5. Sprinkle the top with mozzarella and place into the oven for 50 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Serve with a side salad.
Instead of chicken mince, you could also make this recipe using beef mince.
• Energy 1738Kj • Protein 33g • Total Fat 9g • Saturated Fat 4g • Carbohydrates 47g • Sugars 19g • Sodium 973mg
Dietary and nutritional info by NZ Nutrition Foundation.