Beef and Brown Rice Burgers
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 large kumaras
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 500g lean beef mince
- 250g cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tsbp Dijon mustard
- 4 buns, halved and toasted
- 60g baby rocket
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 250g cooked beetroot, sliced
How to Chop an Onion
1. Preheat oven to 180° (160° fan-forced).
2. In a large frying pan on a medium heat, heat half the oil. Add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic and paprika, cooking for a further minute. Set aside to cool.
3. To make kumara chips, toss mandolin slices of kumara in the remaining oil. Layout on a baking tray lined with baking
paper and bake, turning once, for 30 minutes, or until crisp. Drain on a paper towel. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse mince, rice, and onion mixture until combined. Form into four even-sized patties. Place on a tray and chill until required.
5. In a large non-stick frying pan, heat remaining oil on high. Cook patties for 3 minutes each side, or until cooked through. Set aside and loosely cover with foil.
6. In a small dish, combine the mayonnaise and Dijon, and spread over each bun base. Top each bun base with rocket, tomato, beetroot, patties and more mayonnaise. Top with the bun lids. Serve with kumara chips on the side.
To cook beetroot, wash and trim beetroot but leave the peel on. In a large saucepan add beetroot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 35 minutes, or until tender. Drain and slice to serve.
• Energy 3556Kj • Protein 40g • Total Fat 44g • Saturated Fat 17g • Carbohydrates 71g • Sugars 20g • Sodium 855mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.