- 1 can reduced cream
- 1 packet onion soup
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 loaf sandwich bread
- butter or margarine
1. Mix 1 can of reduced cream and onion soup in a bowl. Add grated cheese and mix through.
2. If you don't like crusts on bread, cut them off now- this is optional. Spread each slice with butter or margarine.
3. Spread two-thirds of the unbuttered side with one heaped dessert spoonful of cheese mix. Roll up tightly so filling doesn’t spill out.
4. Place on a baking tray and bake at 180°C oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Tip: You can assemble ahead of time and keep covered with a damp tea towel or in a large plastic container in fridge ready for cooking as required. Cheese rolls can be served with a chutney.
An alternative version of this recipe is to change the reduced cream to evaporated milk. Put the evaporated milk into a pot, stir in onion soup mix and simmer while continuously stirring. When the mix thickens slightly, add in the grated cheese and continue to mix until melted. Take this off the heat and chill mix. When chilled, wrap into bread as usual.