Choc Raspberry Lamington Slice
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 4 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 15 g butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk, approximately
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease two 24cm x 32cm (9½-inch x 13-inch) swiss roll pans, line bases and long sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm (2 inches) over sides.
2. To make sponges, beat eggs in medium bowl with electric mixer about 10 minutes or until thick and creamy, gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved. Fold in triple-sifted flours.
3. Divide and spread sponge mixture between pans. Bake about 15 minutes. Turn cakes immediately onto baking-paper-covered wire racks to cool.
4. Beat cream in small bowl with electric mixer until firm peaks form.
5. Spread one cake with jam, then with cream to within 1cm (½ inch) of the edge of the sponge. Top with remaining cake, place on wire rack.
6. To make chocolate icing, sift icing sugar and cocoa into medium heatproof bowl, stir in butter and enough milk to make a thick paste. Set bowl over medium saucepan of simmering water, stir until icing is spreadable.
7. Spread icing all over top and sides of slice. Sprinkle top and sides with coconut, refrigerate until set before cutting.
Tip- Leave a 1cm (½ inch) border of sponge without cream. This will make the icing of the sides of the slice easier to do. The weight of the top layer of sponge will push the cream far enough.