Apple and Pear Strudel
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 1 ripe pear, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- ¼ cup sultanas
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, plus ½ teaspoon extra for dusting
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 60g butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- Ice cream or custard, to serve
How to Whip Perfect Cream
1. In a medium saucepan, combine apples, pear, sugar and water. Stir over a low heat, until sugar dissolves. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes, until just tender. Stir in sultanas, cinnamon and ginger. Leave to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper.
3. Place 1 sheet of filo on a clean bench. Brush lightly with butter and sprinkle over 1 teaspoon of the breadcrumbs. Repeat layers.
4. Arrange fruit lengthways across filo, leaving an 8cm gap at the short ends. Fold in the ends, then roll up to enclose. Place seam side down on the tray and brush with remaining butter. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Serve with custard or ice cream.