Mandarin Syrup Cake
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Grated rind of 1 mandarin and 2 Tbsp juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup mandarin juice and grated rind of 1 mandarin
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line a 13cm x 23cm loaf pan.
2. Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir through mandarin rind.
3. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, yoghurt, mandarin juice and vanilla extract. Add to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour into prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
4. Bake for 45 minutes, until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Turn out onto a plate.
5. Meanwhile, to make the syrup, simmer mandarin juice and sugar in a small saucepan over a low heat for 5 minutes, until reduced and syrupy. Stir in mandarin rind.
6. Using a skewer, pierce a few holes in the top of the cake while it's still warm. Slowly pour over half of the syrup until it is absorbed.
7. To serve, slice cake and drizzle with remaining syrup.