Braised Lamb Shanks
- 1½ Tbsp olive oil
- 6 small lamb shanks
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- Plain, unsweetened yoghurt, to serve
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Minted Couscous
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1⁄3 cup shredded mint
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
How to Chop Herbs
1. Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced).
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over a high heat. Cook lamb, in batches, until seared on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
3. Reduce heat to low. Add remaining oil. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until onion softens. Add spices and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Return lamb to dish, and add stock and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
4. Bake, covered, for 2 hours and 15 minutes or until lamb is tender.
5. Meanwhile, heat the stock to nearly boiling. Place couscous in a large heatproof bowl, stir in stock and butter. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Using a fork, fluff and separate grains. Stir in mint, almonds and zest.
6. Spoon couscous evenly onto plates and place lamb on top. Add yoghurt, top with coriander and serve with lemon wedges on the side.