Oven-baked Lamb and Vegetable Casserole
- 1 kg boneless lamb leg, cubed
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced into 1cm cubes
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 670 ml jar tomato passata
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 125 g button mushrooms
- Italian parsley
- mashed potato
- green beans
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Toss lamb in flour seasoned with salt and pepper, shaking off any excess flour.
2. In a large, flameproof casserole dish, heat 2 tablespoons of oil on high. Brown lamb in three batches for 3-4 minutes each. Transfer to a plate.
3. In the same pan, heat remaining oil on medium. Sauté carrot, celery, onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes until onion is tender.
4. Return lamb to pan with passata, stock and wine. Add thyme and bay leaves. Season to taste. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently so it doesn’t stick.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake, covered, for 1 hour.
6. Stir in the mushrooms and bake for a further 25-35 minutes, covered, until lamb is tender. Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
7. Serve scattered with parsley, accompanied with mashed potatoes and green beans.