Chicken and Leek Pie
- 6 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 2 cups cold water
- 80g butter
- 1 leek, pale section only, thinly sliced
- 400g kumara, peeled, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 1⁄3 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 4 slices day-old white bread, crusts trimmed, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1. Place drumsticks in a large, deep frying pan and add water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
2. Transfer drumsticks to a chopping board, reserving the liquid in a heatproof jug. Remove meat from bones and discard the bones. Roughly shred the meat.
3 Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a 7-cup pie dish.
4. Wipe the frying pan clean and melt 60g of the butter over a moderate heat. Add leek and kumara and cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
5. Sprinkle flour over vegetables. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in reserved cooking liquid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in chicken and parsley.
6. Melt remaining butter. Place bread in a medium bowl and drizzle with butter. Add Parmesan and toss to combine.
7. Spoon chicken mixture into prepared dish. Top with bread mixture and bake for 10 minutes or until top is golden.