Roasted Carrot and Cumin Soup
- 1kg carrots, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp dried chilli
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 potato, peeled, cut into 2cm cubes
- ½ cup thickened cream
- Chopped chives, to serve
- Sliced bread, toasted. to serve
How to Make Chicken Stock
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
2. Arrange carrot and onion on tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with cumin seeds and chilli. Season to taste.
3. Bake for 30 minutes. Add garlic and bake for a further 15 minutes.
4. Transfer vegetables to a medium saucepan with stock and potato. Squeeze garlic from skins and add to pan. Cook on high, until boiling. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until potato is tender.
5. Purée with a stick blender, until smooth. Season to taste. Stir in half of the cream and reheat to boiling point.
6. To serve, ladle into bowls with a swirl of the remaining cream on top. Sprinkle with chives. Serve with sliced bread on the side.